Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The fortune or misfortune one?

"We grossly overestimate the length of the effect of misfortune on our lives. You think that the loss of your fortune or current position will be devastating, but you are probably wrong. More likely, you will adapt to anything, as you probably did after past misfortunes. You may feel a sting, but it will not be as bad as you expect. This kind of misprediction may have a purpose: to motivate as to perform important acts and to prevent us from taking certain unnecessary risk. And it is part of a more general problem: we humans are supposed to fool ourselves a little bit here and there..."

I have posted this citation from a book that i've been reading (The Black swan)...

When people knows me or when i introduce myself:
My name is Sofia Fortunato. I always get the following comments:
oh! what a nice last name you have!
oh! the lucky one!
Fortunato, the fortune one.
And then, as i usually do, i answer back:
well, I am not as fortune as my last name say
Actually, It is completely the opposite of that.
I am full of misfortune...
But after reading this and after all the things i have been lately going on in my life ...
I will say that my "misfortune" is bringing much more.
Yes sure, it has not been easy. A sting was sticked on my chest for quite a lot time, but now, i can certainly say this "bad" black swan; this unexpected and improbable twist of my life, brought a lot more.
This twist may have a large-impact beyond the realm of normal expectations....
Most importantly, I found myself! myself-confidence is here. Perhaps, i never had one before...

1 comment:

Ski said...

Sometimes a situation which is painful and appear to be life ruining at one point may actually turn out to be one of the best things that could have happened. Change, although unnerving, often opens new doors you didnt know excisted, and life takes new turns...usually for the better.

Lots of Love
~L